passing cmds up from the VM, was pending mac vm 3.2.4

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Feb 14 04:34:39 UTC 2002

>One niggly I have had with OS X VMs is that Command-Q is ignored.
>While it is good that the key sequence doesn't immediately kill
>Squeak, it is not good that I lose Squeak's auto-completion facility.
>Is it possible to let Squeak handle the Command-Q instead of sending
>it to to /dev/null (there _is_ a /dev/null on OS X, right?)
>
>Joshua

To fix this the ability to send smalltalk commands upwards from the
VM to be executed might be an interesting idea. This would require
some agreement of how to setup the cmd in the VM and some smalltalk
changes to trigger the action.

Thoughts everyone?

Maybe on unix certain kill commands could trigger the same feature.

Mmm even add the ability to receive applescript to execute Smalltalk
code heh? Security, security, .... mmmm Thoughts?

[otter:/Volumes/Lamie] johnmci% ls /dev
bpf0                disk0s6             ptyp4               ptyq2
random              stdin               ttyp9               ttyq7
bpf1                disk0s7             ptyp5               ptyq3
rdisk0              stdout              ttypa               ttyq8
bpf2                disk0s8             ptyp6               ptyq4
rdisk0s1            tty                 ttypb               ttyq9
bpf3                disk0s9             ptyp7               ptyq5
rdisk0s10           tty.IrDA-IrCOMMch-b ttypc               ttyqa
console             disk1               ptyp8               ptyq6
rdisk0s2            tty.modem           ttypd               ttyqb
cu.IrDA-IrCOMMch-b  fd                  ptyp9               ptyq7
rdisk0s3            ttyp0               ttype               ttyqc
cu.modem            klog                ptypa               ptyq8
rdisk0s4            ttyp1               ttypf               ttyqd
disk0               kmem                ptypb               ptyq9
rdisk0s5            ttyp2               ttyq0               ttyqe
disk0s1             mem                 ptypc               ptyqa
rdisk0s6            ttyp3               ttyq1               ttyqf
disk0s10            null                ptypd               ptyqb
rdisk0s7            ttyp4               ttyq2               urandom
disk0s2             ptyp0               ptype               ptyqc
rdisk0s8            ttyp5               ttyq3               zero
disk0s3             ptyp1               ptypf               ptyqd
rdisk0s9            ttyp6               ttyq4
disk0s4             ptyp2               ptyq0               ptyqe
rdisk1              ttyp7               ttyq5
disk0s5             ptyp3               ptyq1               ptyqf
stderr              ttyp8               ttyq6