why not source typeface glyphs on demand from the host os (optionally!)

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Thu Feb 14 20:38:51 UTC 2002

Mark,

The value of having fonts _in_ the image is mostly that they appear on
each platform exactly the same. Pixel for pixel. If that were of no
concern, then you could just import the entire enchilada of fonts (the
same way I've been using for pulling up TTF renderings from Windows) and
just dump the entire thing when you're done (e.g., when you save the
image). So while your proposal is perfectly reasonable as long as you
stay on a single platform (possibly even restricted to a limited set of
standard fonts) it's not exactly doable across all the platforms.

Cheers,
  - Andreas