Squeak is doing a *lot* of gettimeofday()

Karl Goiser kgoiser at bigpond.net.au
Thu Feb 14 21:31:35 UTC 2002

At 8:09 AM -0800 14/2/02, Tim Rowledge wrote:
>  > On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Karl Goiser wrote:
>
>>  > Aren't most modern operating systems and environments event driven?
>OSs are usually interrupt handling, UIs are typically non-interrupt
>event driven. Note however that nearly all of them (I have been assured
>in the past that Be OS is exclueded here) require you (as in the
>application) to poll for those events.

Thanks for that Tim!  Of course I meant that most modern operating
systems allow applications to be event driven...  :-}  but got a bit
tangled up...

When an application is polling for an event, doesn't it do nothing?

Excepting background processes, of course.  But here again, e.g. your
example of the mouse logo, shouldn't it be doing nothing unless the
mouse moves?

--
----
Klaatu barada nikto    (http://www.wattle.net/klaatu.wav)