Possibly silly (newbie) question about "plap: X" = "plap(X)"

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Fri Feb 15 21:09:11 UTC 2002

Hi, Maarten,

At 7:15 PM +0100 2/15/02, Maarten Maartensz wrote:
>Having updated recently from 3.0 to 3.3alpha #4664 I notice that earlier
>stuff sent to Transcript with "show: 'Text' " doesn't work anymore, while
>"Transcript show ('Text') does. Also, if one finds "Transcripter" one also
>finds it lists "show:" in the rightmost upper pane that list the methods,
>but displays "show (anObject)" in the code pane.
>
>Indeed, I find everywhere that the arguments of methods are now all in
>brackets in the code, which is more in line with other languages I know,
>but not according what I learned about Smalltalk.
>
>Is there a reason for this change, e.g. of a semantical kind, that I have
>missed? And is this now systematic i.e. any method listed as say "plap: "
>in the code will have to get written as "plap (anObject)", and will require
>these brackets also to work?

You somehow got the "printAlternateSyntax" preference set to true.
Set it back to false, and new tool windows will once again feature
the beloved colons.

If you have tools around that were launched when
"printAlternateSyntax" was set to true, you can return them to
standard duty by using the "what to show..." menu item of the window
menu, or else the corresponding control in the optional button pane,
to reset them to show "source" rather than "altSyntax".

HTH.

Cheers,

    -- Scott