passing cmds up from the VM, was pending mac vm 3.2.4

David Simmons David.Simmons at smallscript.com
Fri Feb 15 22:25:11 UTC 2002

Maybe I'm not understanding the issue, so please forgive me in advance
if my comments make no sense in this context.

a) Can't the VM just send a message to some Smalltalk object?

b) Can't you access the VM by providing external-code entrypoints, or
alternatively in the Squeak model, provide a new primitive?

c) QKS Smalltalk VM contained asynch-message queues. Any code (including
hardware/OS interrupt drivers) could put a message on the queues. The
VM's Smalltalk interrupt mechanism would subsequently detect there were
elements on the queue and generate soft-Smalltalk interrupts at well
known points. Like between message send/returns, etc. Those "soft"
interrupts would send a message (vm-callback) to an appropriate
Smalltalk object to process a given asynch queue entry. This was how we
provided almost all the real-time services for timebase code execution
within QuickTime tracks and other multi-media, real-time timer task
interrupts,  and MacTCP services on MacSTA circa 1991-1995.

-- Dave S. [SmallScript Corp]

SmallScript for the AOS & .NET Platforms
David.Simmons at SmallScript.com | http://www.smallscript.org

==
http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com