[Modules] One more idea! (rather good IMHO)

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Feb 18 16:57:49 UTC 2002

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> > Let me explain: In Debian I think they have "rules" describing when a
> > package goes down into testing and when it finally goes into stable. For
> > example, I think that a package needs a certain time in unstable without
> > having any bugs reported against it and then it will automatically enter
> > testing.
>
> Actually, Debian doesn't move individual packages forward to stable --
> it moves an entire distribution forward.  That is, "woody" as a whole
> goes from unstable to testing to stable, not "gcc-3.0".

Ah! Ok. Sorry about that. Yes, stable does not get new packages, only
bugfixes
and security updates, right?

But about unstable->testing I was right I think:
http://people.debian.org/~jules/testingfaq.html

[SNIP, good points]
> By the way, the "depends" relation makes it easy to put together
> stable/unstable/whatever releases: have a "Squeak3.2" module that
> depends on all the right modules for the 3.2 version, and have a
> "Squeak-stable" version that depends on "3.2".  Then when you load
> "Squeak-stable", you'll get the standard stable image.

Yes, that was what Henrik and I talked about at OOPSLA I think. Simple
and nice, I agree.
I wonder how my ideas on "subscription profiles" together with some form
of updated metacatalog goes together with that approach. Blah, my head
hurts... ;-)

regards, Göran