[BC] Block Closures, Version 2

Anthony Hannan ajh18 at cornell.edu
Mon Feb 18 21:04:39 UTC 2002

Scott A Crosby <crosby at qwes.math.cmu.edu> wrote:
> I'd guess that its because the generated VM/image differ based on
> something that is outside of the raw code.
>
> Is there some patch version inconsistency between the page and what you
> actually use? Patch application order requirement? Was some change put in
> the wrong changeset (say, a VM fixup placed in the image-translation
> changeset, or vice versa. So you must load all changes before translating
> an image or building a VM.)
>
> Or, for example, do things break if you do:
>    BCSystemTracer new writeImageFile: 'yourBC.image'
> INSTEAD OF
>    Time millisecondsToRun:
>           [BCSystemTracer new writeImageFile: 'yourBC.image']
>
> When I've been working on it, I've created two throwaway clean images,
> load the VM changes into one, and the translator into the other. Do you do
> things differently?

Acting like a new user, I downloaded a fresh 3.2gamma-4743 image and VM
source from squeak.sourceforge.net.  Then I downloaded and filed-in
CGeneratorEnhancements-ajh.cs, BCIntepreter-ajh.cs, and
VMMaker-3-2-version5.4.cs in that order.  Then I opened VMMakerTool,
made all plugins internal, and generated all.  Then I compiled the
vm.  Then I download the pre-converted SqueakBC3.image (and changes)
and ran it on the just built vm, and it worked.

Can you please try the above recipe and see if it works for you?

Thanks,
Anthony