Impacts of the squeak garbage collector

Scott A Crosby crosby at qwes.math.cmu.edu
Mon Feb 18 22:50:31 UTC 2002

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Marcel Weiher wrote:

> On Monday, February 18, 2002, at 09:17 PM, Scott A Crosby wrote:
>
> > Roughly, I profile it at:
> >
> >  Can GC 60mb in 170ms, or about 360mb (6m objects) in a second.
>
> Hmm....  170 ms * 6 = 1020 ms, or about a second.  If these numbers are
> accurate, there doesn't seem to be any overall performance benefit from
> delaying the GC (apart from completely avoiding it in a specific period
> of time).  Or very likely I am missing something.

These are raw numbers, and inconsistent with each other.. I get fullGC
about 4x-8x slower than a incrGC on the same number of bytes.

 Can incrGC 300MB in 1600ms.
 Can fullGC 20MB in 400ms

We *know* that increasing these parameters makes macroBenchmarks go
faster. It also avoids methodCache and atCache flushes, which will slow
down computation. (This also makes it more feasible to have much larger
method&at caches.)

Scott.