[Q] Modules- just classes or more?

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Wed Feb 20 07:32:04 UTC 2002

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Aaron J Reichow wrote:

> What can modules hold on to?  Only classes, or can they also contain- and
> load and unload- arbitrary objects or (more importantly) methods?
>
> I was thinking about the way IBM's VA/Smalltalk + ENVY deals with modules,
> in a structure called an "Application."  Applications can contain a number
> of classes, but also new methods on pre-existing classes.  For example, I
> could have a rot13 module that implemented String>>#rot13.

I asked a similar question on Feb 05. I put an answer by Göran Hultgren
on the Swiki
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2247
Brief intro to Modules and DeltaModules

If that doesn't give enough explanation (it's a draft), please ask further
questions here so that we can update that page.

The state of the implementation is reflected by Henrik Gedenryd's answer
to my question:

Henrik Gedenryd wrote on Fri, 08 Feb 2002:
>There is yet no mechanism for capturing changes to DMs automatically, but
>the mechanism for importing old code will create delta modules for class
>extensions. As a workaround you can file out your extensions and use that
>mechanism to create DMs.

Regards
Hannes Hirzel