Showing the essence of programming in 20 minutes to schoolkids - how?

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Wed Feb 20 13:36:13 UTC 2002

Sorry for the long title :-).

My kids' school (basisschool/grundschule/6-12 years) has a yearly
school party/fair, always with some nice theme, and this year's theme is
"what do you want to become when you grow up?". As part of the theme,
they are asking parents to chat with the kids about their jobs. The format is
groups of ~8 kids, you get around twenty minutes with each group.

My wife has an easy one - as a dentist's assistant she only needs so show up
with some scary equipment, hand all the kids a mirror to inspect each other's
teeth, and that's it.

But how (with a couple - how many? - computers at hand running Squeak) do
you explain to kids of, say, 8 years old the essence of a computer
programmer's job?

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>