[VM] [ENH] [WIN32] Win32 enhancements

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Wed Feb 20 21:01:07 UTC 2002

I've attached a file with some modifications to VMMaker-3-2-5 and changes
to the code on SF (in unified diff format).
I used these to build a 3.2gamma VM using MSVC.  Note that the changes will
break the gcc build.  I see this as a way station to getting a proper win32
build with multiple directories for internal and external plugins.  Rather
than get gcc working with the current lame state, it seems more useful to
define the unlame state and then move MSVC and gcc to it.

Code Changes (which are independent of the build changes):
1. allow reading of images with the 512 byte Unix header.
2. rename SetDefaultPrinter, which was clashing with a function of the same
name in the MS SDK.
3. use __int64 rather than long long for MSVC (but the code doesn't really
use it yet).

Build changes to SF
1. Update the .dsp file (MSVC's "makefile") to bring it up to date and make
it work with VMMaker changes.

VMMakerChanges
1. The basic vm files are no longer copied from under platform (this is why
gcc builds will break).
2. The .dsp file is edited on the fly to link to them.

It is also advisable to rename the directory
platforms/win32/plugins/AsyncFilePlugin to have an h after sync.
The build requires the patched DX7 files available with Andreas's toolkit,
and it also requires the project file be adjusted to point to the DX7
includes.  At least for debugging, you also need to add references to some
of the libs files for DX7.

This does not cope with the MPEG plugin or external plugins.

I  built this on W2K with MSVC 6, all with recent patches.  I also have an
SDK on my system.
My confidence that all these changes have produced a solid exe is low, but
it does seem to work.  My biggest doubts center on the newly introduced
__int64, which has no code changes supporting it, and the code dealing with
the 512 byte header (see my earlier post).  However, it may be that, since
Win32 has its own file handling code, the squeakInt64 that is set to
__int64 never gets used at all.