Good Hashing paper

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Feb 21 16:46:24 UTC 2002

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> Pretty neat, scheme, isn't it?  I bet there aren't even all that many
> update operations in String, because most should be defering to at:put:
> or replaceFrom:to:with:startingAt:.  A tricky bit, sadly, is figuring
> out where to stash the hash value; I don't think you can just add an
> instance variable to String, can you?
Not under the current system design, no. Non-OOP indexed objects cannot
have named instance variables - which is why CompiledMethods are hybrid
and we are working to get rid of them. One could decide that Strings
would have the first 4 bytes as the value of a hash, but there would be
quite a few methods to change to make this work.

tim

You have junk mail.