[Q] Modules- just classes or more?

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Fri Feb 22 08:17:58 UTC 2002

Bergel Alexandre <bergel at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> > Take a look at Repository>>contentsOn: - it sure looks to me that it can
> > store other things too.
>
> Repository>>contentsOn: is used for writing the content of a module. It is simply a 'fileOut'

If you take a closer look the first part is for writing the contents of
defined names that are not Behaviors nor Modules. It calls
variableDefinitionFor: to produce the representation that can recreate
the defined name when loading back in.

> Repository>>compositeDefinitionsOn: is used for meta-information, .def file in fact.

Sure. But that is the wrong place to look for what I am talking about.

> > But looking further on Module>>variableDefinitionFor: it doesn't seem to
> > be implemented yet!
>
> What seems to not be implemented ?

Note the "nil" as argument to #defineName:as:export:. If you take a look
at #defineName:as:export: the argument after as: is the value for the
defined name. The current implementation will always produce "nil" as
value.

So the current implementation will not put any values for these guys on
disk. It currently assumes that they will be initialized later.

Btw - it is also interesting to look at senders of
#defineName:as:export:, it shows how the PoolDictionaries are handled
from now on. Look for example at versions (alt-v) of #installX11Fonts.
Nice. I like it.

> > But I have been known to be wrong before so take this with a grain of
> > salt... (valid saying in nglish?) :-)

But I stand by my reading of the code sofar! :-)

regards, Göran