Modules and class organization

Bergel Alexandre bergel at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Feb 22 09:43:22 UTC 2002

Hello,

> Why are there different modules for Numbers, Proceses and Collections?
> Intuitively, I would think that the minimal subset of the image (which
> probably coincides with ANSI Smalltalk) should be grouped in a single
> Core module.

What is the problem to have several module for the Squeak core ?
If I want to find the OrderedCollection class, I search it with the browser, and I go to #(Squeak Language Collections Sequenceable). With that I search another serquenceable mechanisme.

Anyway, I am pretty sure it is a bad view to have every classes in the same Namespace/Package.

> Is there any reason for having so many modules?

Yep, because I think there is many concept in Squeak.

> Have we definitely lost class categories? As I see them, modules and
> class categories are enterely different concepts.

Until image3.3, categories were used as manual namespaces. It is necessary to have modules now.

> I'm sorry if I'm too late for this discussion, or if this has already
> been asked and answered. I haven't followed all the modules threads.

Look at :
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2042

Alexandre

--