UI Models

John Hinsley johnhinsley at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Feb 22 18:30:56 UTC 2002

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Gary McGovern wrote:

//snip//

> Does anyone anticipate that the direct manipulation with scripting will be used in business computing
> or is it expected to be in the personal computing realm only ?

Belatedly (catching up on email), I'd think that the etoys stuff (direct
manipulation with scripting)  could well be used for the kind of simple
business applications VB is (I don't mean writing silly worms to mess up
Windows' broken email client!). Consider a simple one off application, perhaps
a  front end to a database which checks that ISBNs or part numbers are valid
by chucking an algorithm at them.  You could do that in VB and have an ugly
(IMHO) assemblage of widgets which will only work on Windows, or do it in
etoys and have something drop dead gorgeous that'll work on anything Squeak'll
run on. And do it much more quickly (VB is so verbose).

But about intentions, I can only squeak for myself. Yes!

Cheers

John

--  They're afraid, very afraid...... According to CRN
magazine, Microsoft staff discovering Linux in use will have now access to a
special 'escalation' team. Now, where did I put that stake and mallet?
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/01/16/0310222&mode=nocomment