Why Interpreter isa ObjectMemory

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at rogers.com
Sun Feb 24 00:58:28 UTC 2002

Dear Squeakers,

	I am trying to learn, so maybe I am babling, please bear with
me.

	Your enlightenment is very much appreciated.

	I read through the missing chapters of the Blue Book but miss
the point why Interpreter is a subclass of ObjectMemory.

	In fact in chapter 30, 'Formal Specification of the Object
Memory', there is the section 'Interface to the Bytecode Interpreter'
with the openning sentence:

		'The final step in the implementation of the object
memory is to provide the interface routines required by the
interpreter.'

	In chapter 27, under 'Form of the Specification', it was said:

		'Two class descriptions named Interpreter and
ObjectMemory make up the formal specification of the Smalltalk-80
virtual machine. '

	without saying anything about subclassing ObjectMemory. None
about this was said in chapter 28 'Formal Specification of the
Interpreter' either.

	You may ask why I ask. The reason is that I am toying with the
thought of splitting the ObjectMemory and ByteCodeInterpreter and wonder
what the price that must be paid for this.

	Is Interpreter a subclass of ObjectMemory in the original design
as described in the Blue Book or is it an innovation in Squeak (where
can I get the original source) ?

	Is it feasible to make Interpreter a subclass of Object just
like ObjectMemory is a subclass of Object (and Compiler is a subclass of
Object). Then I can generate 2 separate files, say,
ByteCodeInterpreter.c and ObjectMemory.c ?

	Thanks for your patience,

	PhiHo.