SerialPort cross-platform question...

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sun Feb 24 01:12:02 UTC 2002

On Saturday 23 February 2002 04:58 pm, Dan Ingalls wrote:

> If the portCount and portName primitives used by this facility work on all
> platforms, then there is at least the promise of things being pretty
> civilized.

AFAIK, under UNIX this doesn't work, at least in the stock version, because:

* I never wrote any of the MIDI stuff, just serial

* it's not clear that there is (or should be) any connection between MIDI and
serial (though there was on the Macs)

* it's not clear how to tell how many or what serial ports exist under Unix.

* Under UNIX systems based on PCs, the MIDI could be on a soundcard, or on a
serial or USB port. And I don't think there's any standard interface or way
to tell where the MIDI ports are.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA