Modules and class organization

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Feb 25 10:11:25 UTC 2002

"Francisco Garau" <fgarau at softhome.net> wrote:
[BIG SNIP]
> I think that modules and class organization are two different concepts and
> that they should be kept separate. Class organization is an aid for
> programmers to understand the Smalltalk system. On the other hand, modules are
> an artificat to handle image partitioning.
>
> The first concept is targeted towards the human reader. The second concept is
> target towards the computer.

The modules are not only for partitioning the image. IMHO - they are
most of all groups of classes arranged in a hierarchy with the
dependencies between these groups well described.

And as such the modules are DEFINITELY targeted for the programmer and
are DEFINITELY an aid for programmers to understand the system.

regards, Göran

PS. If we had two different schemes for grouping classes - how would
they differ? Why would categories group classes differently than the
modules? What other natural ways of grouping classes are there? I am
curious since I can't see them. :-) DS