mac os-x -> Need multiple button mice with scroll wheel

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Feb 25 20:15:06 UTC 2002

I'm busy altering the macintosh VM to use carbon event support and
have noticed one issue, and need some mac user with os-x and a
multi-button scroll wheel mouse to assist in some testing.

First I'm not sure if the logic for other VM that support multiple
buttons allow you to chord say all three buttons at the same time.
The old mac code only would allow one button pressed at anyone time.
But from a h/w viewpoint you can of course press one or any
combination at the same time, so do other VM support this?

Secondly I'm looking at adding scroll wheel support. I think I should
pass this back as additional fields in the mouse event, the wheel
axis identifier, and the  delta value. But to complete this feature I
need a beta tester with the right hardware, or maybe someone can
spring for such a beast for me?

Mmm I also need someone with a dual processor machine and os-x to
check that the new VM won't step on some race condition between the
event processing pthread and the VM pthread.