mac os-x -> Need multiple button mice with scroll wheel

Brian Keefer mgomes21 at home.com
Tue Feb 26 17:42:20 UTC 2002

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Oops! You added that, too? In my version (that made it into Ian's code at
> some point) the wheel sends ctrl+up/down, not just up/down keystrokes, to
> distinguish them from normal key presses ...
>
> John: the keyboard events work well even in MVC, I'm not sure we really
> need to invent new events ...
>
> -- Bert

I find the way X typically handles the mouse wheel much more useful. The
mousewheel is sent as a mouse event (optionally as an auxiliary y axis or
buttons 4/5), which the window manager takes as a non-focusworthy event.
That way, you can quickly point-and-scroll in one window, without messing
up the keyboard focus in your work window.
As squeak stands now, the keyboard hack sends mouse events to a window the
mouse may no longer be pointing at, which is a bad inconsistency.