Problem with sockets listening with ip address of 0.0.0.0

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Feb 26 17:09:57 UTC 2002

> I'm trying to get swiki running on nt, but it listens
> on port 80 with an ip of 0.0.0.0 which means it works fine
> in IE on localhost but is not so good over the web :).

This is actually a good setting: it lets the socket accept connections
targetted to any IP on the local machine.  So, 127.0.0.1 will work as
well as whatever address(es) your network card(s) have.

Perhaps you are behind a firewall that blocks port 80?  Or perhaps there
is a security setting that isn't letting you listen on port 80?

-Lex