serialization and rematerialization of CompiledMethods, assistance needed!

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Feb 26 21:54:27 UTC 2002

Chris Muller <afunkyobject at yahoo.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

>   - In VisualAge, I'm able to store and retrieve CompiledMethods just fine
> because the literals and pointer variables are actually *instance variables* of
> the class CompiledMethod.
And this is how it will be when the VI4 project release is available. I
did the 'New CompiledMethod' stuff years ago and Anthony H. has included
it in his BlockClosures work. Search the swiki for some details.

> If the CompiledMethod in Squeak only holds
> "references" to the literals (since it inherits from ByteArray, I presume this
> to be a memory-location-integer-reference to the String literal, and not the
> String itself), then how do the String literals themselves avoid being garbage
> collected?
It's all a big cheat. you really don't want to know the details since
they could make green slime drip from your ears. For a week, at least.

> You know, I think the Squeak community provides better "support" (in my
> experience) than a lot of high-priced corporate service contracts!
You're most welcome to send us the money instead of those non-supporting
vendors :-)

As for handling this stufff right now, I pointed out a couple of weeks
ago:-
> If one really needs to do this before the VI4 is available, try the
> following approach:-
>

> Literals can be obtained from the method with #literals (duh!), stick
> them in an array.
> #initialPC gives you the index of the first actual bytecode, #endPC that
> of the last - copy bytes from one to the other into a ByteArray.
> #sourcePointer gets you the source pointer integer.
> #header gets you the method header value
>

> Now you have all the components available to save a clean set
> of everything needed to recreate the method later. Take a look at
> MethodNode>generate: to see how methods are normally put together and
> copy as much as possible.
Really, given your CM to pillage, grab the list of literals (what you do
about globals etc is your problem!), the source pointer, the header and
then use copyFrom: cm initialPC to: endPC to get the bytes.

Inspect an instance of CompiledMethod (try TestTMethod compiledMethodAt:
#fixUpReturns) and then try this snippet in the inspector:-

|lits hdr srcP begin end bcs ncm |
"extract the stuff from the original"
lits _ self literals.
hdr _ self header.
srcP _ self sourcePointer.
begin _ self initialPC.
end _ self endPC.
bcs _ ByteArray new: (end - begin +1).
bcs replaceFrom: 1 to: bcs size with: self startingAt: begin.
"You could now save all the above wherever"
"create the copy"
ncm  _ CompiledMethod newMethod: end - begin + 1 + 4 header: hdr.
lits withIndexDo: [:lit :index | ncm literalAt: index put: lit].
ncm setSourcePointer: srcP.
ncm replaceFrom: ncm initialPC to: ncm endPC with: bcs startingAt:1.
ncm = self

It should return true. Hopefully this will give you enough info to work
the rest out.

tim
when people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other