[UNIX][VM] config file (was: Re: SerialPort cross-platform question...)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Feb 27 12:19:34 UTC 2002

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 12:35:52PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> OTOH, a config file would be nice, indeed. How about "/etc/squeakrc",
> overridable by a "$(HOME)/.squeakrc"? Or, do we want to have a
> "$(HOME)/.squeak/" directory?

For consistency, it would be "/etc/squeak.conf", overridable
by "$(HOME)/.squeakrc". Unfortunately, a small amount of VM support
would be needed, as Squeak does not currently know the location of
the $(HOME) directory. This could be added in the form of one new
primitive (primitiveUserHomePath). If the primitive was not there,
then primUserHomeHomePath would answer the Squeak home as a default
(FileDirectory default pathName). This would be sufficient to permit
everything else to be implemented in Smalltalk, hopefully in a
way that works well for non-Unix platforms also.