getting really weird: Player39 in PointerFinder

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Tue Jan 1 07:42:56 UTC 2002

In tracking down the cause of grossly excessive copies of some objects in
my image, I've found that some Player classes are holding onto them.

Can I just delete the classes?  What is the safe way to get rid of these
things?

Extra credit to anyone who can explain to me how this could possibly have
happened.  I haven't used the tile scripting stuff much (Player is part of
that, right?).  I have, among other follies, published my project
repeatedly, often abortively, and I have created copies by dragging things
into ProjectViews.  I also tried using the EventRecorder a bit to capture
some activity.  I have no reason to think any of these things would account
for what I see, except that I can't think of anything else :)

Here's what pointer finder shows me (by hand, since I don't know any other
way to get the info here):
#Player39 -> Player39 class
scripts: IdentityDictionary
#script1 -> UniclassScript
currentScriptEditor: ScriptEditorMorph
playerScripted: Player39
costume: TransformationMorph
owner: SphereWindow       "first sign of my stuff"
myChildHolder: AlignmentMorph
etc

SphereWindow is a morph.  Some of my classes mess around with the text or
string morph editor--but only in subclasses.

The scripts class instance variable (defined in superclass Player) seems
magically connected to methods showing in the scripts protocol of the
Player39 instance side.  The scripts do little heading changes (which kind
of fits with the EventRecorder theory).  When I browse versions of the
methods I get no info on creator or creation time.

Player39 is in category Morphic-UserObjects