[BUGS] Looking for plugins (Linux)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jan 2 03:17:18 UTC 2002

"Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus" <schwa at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 03:10:03PM -0800, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> >

> > Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus wrote:
> > >
> > > It seems to me that looking for a loadable module in the same
> > > directory that the VM exists in is a very sensible behavior.  For some
> > > reason, the Linux VM does not do this.
> > According to the code in
> > platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixExternalPrims.c>ioLoadModule(), it looks in
> > current dir, /etc/ld.so.cache, /usr/lib, /lib, SQ_LIBDIR, so it really
> > should be working for you.
>
> I guess I haven't paid the necessary attention to SQ_LIBDIR.  Is it set
> via an argument to configure?

It's set by the configure script, to the location that "make install"
will install them for you if you only allow it.  :)  You can use
--prefix to influence where the files will be installed; for example,
"configure --prefix=$HOME" can be used to install into your own home
directory.  It's something like /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.1a-4137/ .

An environment variable would seem pretty reasonable, too, but I don't
think there is one.  SQUEAK_PLUGIN_DIR might be a good name for it, to
go along with the other environment variables.

> > I usually end up with the plugins in the same
> > directory as the cwd.
>
> Really?  You have your image, filed-out changesets, and other
> miscellany all in the same directory with .so plugin files?  I think
> that I'd find that quite cluttered.  I guess that you primarily do
> this on your Acorn, and probably have a nice GUI file browser that
> separates them based on their file type.  Is this your Linux usage
> pattern as well?  I still haven't found a GUI for Linux that pisses me
> off less than it helps me out.

This is strange to me, too; you can simply use "make install" and
everything is happy.  Don't squelch your VM -- let it express itself in
all the glorious directories that it wants to.

-Lex