Update on the Squeak-material on my site

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Jan 2 05:25:36 UTC 2002

Maarten Maartensz wrote:

> L.S.
>
> It may interest some to know that I have given Squeak its own directory on
> my site and have extended the html- versions of my user manual (in progress).
>
> The relevant direct link is:
>
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~maartens/squeak/squeak_index.htm

Thanks for the link; your diary about discovering Squeak is interesting.

A minor problem:  The "Map", "Tour", etc., links from your Squeak page seem to be pointing to invalid (local) addresses such as file:///C:/webmm/map.htm.  You may want to fix these.

> Having seen my own site recently on a local internet-cafe, that did not
> display part of my site as it should (probably due to a combination of
> factors including MS buggery):
>
> - my site should display in Arial 12 point bold

Looks fine to me on IE and Netscape.

Also, I don't mind your frequent use of coloring text (usually red) for emphasis, but I might suggest that you use a different color such as blue (ideally the default html-link blue color) rather than red for links, so that the links are easier to distinguish from the regular emphasized text.

This confusion is a bigger problem if you're using Scamper in Squeak... the links there are not underlined but are represented with colored text.

This makes me think that it might be a good idea to change Scamper so that hyperlinks are underlined.  Ignoring the fact that all other web browsers do this, using underlines just seems like a better idea for hyperlinks... using colored text basically prevents you from ever using colored text for anything else.  The underline seems to be a more significant change in emphasis than a different color, which, for a hyperlink, is good, IMHO.  (Underline also seems more appropriate than bold, italic, strikethru, etc.)

Maybe I'll submit a changeset sometime if noone else does. :)

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com