making the mac startup faster...

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Jan 2 07:31:55 UTC 2002

I've been looking into this. I've noticed on windows why when you
startup Squeak it just snaps up! But it takes seconds on the mac, why?

Thanks to some OS-X tools, let alone the usage of fs_usage I've noted
that 3.2.1B5 does 1,574 I/O operations in order to startup. By apply
some thought to how plugins are looked for I've cut that to 902 I/Os

Right now I get timings of
11ms to start main to the point of image reading
1,852ms to read a 15,1903,04 file, 7.8MB sec?
386ms to fixup image.
1,250ms to first update screen event in the interpreter.

I'm considering mmap and other interesting things to perhaps speedup
the read, along with more review of how the directory lookup logic
and directory entries logic works. (Somewhat ugly due to the
transition to os-x).

Let alone how the startup code hunts for the changes and source file,
and why we need to tap the nonexistent applescript plugin at startup
time.

So I'm wondering if there are some suggestions out there.