making the mac startup faster...

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Wed Jan 2 17:47:52 UTC 2002

One of my experiences is that it matters less how fast something
actually is, rather than the expectation that something is about to
happen.  For example, it was a very effective OR solution in
"optimizing" elevator waiting time, merely to put mirrors up so
individuals waiting for an elevator have something with which to occupy
themselves while waiting a reasonable time.

The user experience in Squeak is to display a partial, empty window
while doing some silliness involving data operations, and upon the
completion of the silliness, expands and begins to display the window.
The display of the partial window creates an expectation in the minds of
users that something is about to, and should, happen.

If, instead, we were to display a banner of some kind (modifiable by
changing a resource file for particularized applications), preflight and
complete the I/O off-screen, and only then show the window when
complete, the end-experience of the start-up would be substantially
crisper and snappier.

Strongly suggest doing this as a matter of course -- displaying a
partial, and unexpanded, window with nothingness is a bad idea as a
matter of system interface design practice.