Type Inferencer to the Rescue

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jan 2 19:22:05 UTC 2002

> So I would like to know what is the status of the type inferencers?
> Is Lucid still developed?

I'm still chugging along on Lucid.  It does find types for a good many
expressions, but I'm trying to improve on it.  I haven't reposted a
newer version in a while -- first, the next version will be better, and
second, it's probably not real fun to play with right now, because of
the way it deals (or doesn't deal) with code changes.

Specifically, on that last note, I've started assuming that the
following things are available to the analysis:

	1. parse trees for all methods
	2. a senders-of table, to avoid searching through the system
	3. an implementors-of table, again to avoid searching

What I haven't done, is arranged for these tables to get updated
whenever someone changes code in a browser.  It's more work than it
seems at first, because there are several different ways someone can
change code (add a method; rename a class; reparent a class; etc.).  And
there's a temptation to generalize, so that other tools could react to
changes in the system code....

-Lex