Type Inferencer to the Rescue

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Jan 3 08:07:14 UTC 2002

on 1/2/02 8:22 PM, Lex Spoon at lex at cc.gatech.edu wrote:

>> So I would like to know what is the status of the type inferencers?
>> Is Lucid still developed?
>
> I'm still chugging along on Lucid.  It does find types for a good many
> expressions, but I'm trying to improve on it.  I haven't reposted a
> newer version in a while -- first, the next version will be better, and
> second, it's probably not real fun to play with right now, because of
> the way it deals (or doesn't deal) with code changes.
>
> Specifically, on that last note, I've started assuming that the
> following things are available to the analysis:
>
> 1. parse trees for all methods
> 2. a senders-of table, to avoid searching through the system
> 3. an implementors-of table, again to avoid searching
>
> What I haven't done, is arranged for these tables to get updated
> whenever someone changes code in a browser.  It's more work than it
> seems at first, because there are several different ways someone can
> change code (add a method; rename a class; reparent a class; etc.).

>  And
> there's a temptation to generalize, so that other tools could react to
> changes in the system code....

Roel in is Prolog in Smalltalk (SOUL) added a notification mechanism to the
changeset so that everytimes a method gets added its engine would get
notifyed.
I do not know if this is what you want (or even enough) but contact him:
    wuyts at iam.unibe.ch

> -Lex

Lex why don't you try the following:

put a button that will recompute everything even if this takes long time and
cache it.
    -> this way we (the other users) will be able to play with it (and we
will know that this is like that)
    -> I think that in the beginning of a PhD you should know fast if the
things you are doing are worth. that's why incremental changes are
interesting but if you would have a solution for type inference that we
could use for documentation this would be already great.

I would really like from you if you could write in a wiki page all the
information you would like to have in an AST for code analysis (and state if
this is in Lucid).

Stef