[OT] Writing a parser for BASIC in Smalltalk/Squeak ?

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Thu Jan 3 17:22:08 UTC 2002

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
[snip]
> You can use the meta-compiler of VW. Roel Wuyts ported it to Squeak and they
> never answer its queries about if he could give it away.

Ooo, I'd love to have this. Any chance of querying again? Maybe directly
to James Robertson?

> There is TGEN, but
> pay attention to get the right version because in some there are some minor
> bugs that can ruin our fun. Ask wuyts at iam.unibe.ch.

I updated the Squeak port to work with 3.1, but haven't tried it recently.

It's also not uncommon to just do one by hand. Looking at the built in
Parser class (which is, of course, for Smalltalk) may give you some
ideas. Prolog/V uses a subclass of the standard parser this way.

Liberty Basic is written in VisualWorks. You might be able to borrow the
parser from that which may or may not be close enough to your Basic to be
worth mucking with.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.