[ANN][VM][SF] my Unix patches integrated into SF layout

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Jan 4 22:52:27 UTC 2002

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> is widely believed to have written:

> Hmm, you could do the merging in VMMaker, and it would be a lot nicer
> than the shell script I've been using.  That's a nice idea!
Do feel free to implement it :-)

> Plugins that use external libraries are the ones that are likely to have
> their own build rules.
I guess this is the crucial point. One could make an argument that
external libraries should be kept separate and handled separately as any
other library. I'm not sure that it really what we want to do though.

Would this work:-
a) plugins with extra libraries should keep the library code in a _sub_
directory such as platforms/Unix/plugins/FooPlugin/FooLibrary along with
any/all make related stuff applicable to that library. VMMaker will copy
that to either src/vm/FooLibrary or src/plugins/FooPlugin/FooLibrary
depending on whether Foo is an internal or external library.
b) any such library must have a suitable makefile or makefile fragment
c) autoconf will check for such *Library directories and do
whatever magic is needed to invoke the makefile instead of incorporating
the plugin files in the main make stuff.

Sounds faintly plausible to me at least.

Platforms lacking an autconf analogue need manually assembled makefiles
anyway, so it is already entirely up to a porting person to sort out. No
change there!

> PS -- in SHA, you should guess that the make rules aren't invoked
> recursively -- the files are called make.*inc* for a reason. :)
If you say so; I'm doing my best not to get too knowledgable about some
of this stuff. My brain is already dribbling out of my ears from
overload.

tim

Useful random insult:- A vacuum-tube brain in a microchip world.