GPG plugin (was Re: [ANN][VM][SF] my Unix patches integrated into SF layout)

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Sat Jan 5 04:30:59 UTC 2002

Yes, I keep thinking about the impact of providing digital signatures to
everyone, and any de jure or de facto requirement that e-mail be signed.
The latter is what you are suggesting, which I think would rapidly occur:
people would configure their mailers to reject e-mail that wasn't digitally
signed.  The signatures of spammers could be accumulated, and also
trace/prosecute the offenders.

If the US Postal Service had any foresight, they'd offer a CA (charging a
fee, but much less than the Vaseline-inducing folks at Verisign), and other
e-mail related services.  This is a much better era to offer an MCI Mail
type service, than were the mid-80's; this would allow them to recover some
of the money lost to e-mail.

	--- Noel