[ENH] bytecodePrimClass and bytecodePrimEquivalent aremessage sends. Double dispatch #== (was Re: [ENH] RE: Does #classdeserve to be a very-special shortcut bytecode anymore?)

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Sun Jan 6 07:07:32 UTC 2002

Rob Withers wrote:

> At 03:48 PM 1/5/2002, you wrote:
> >Rob Withers <rwithers12 at mediaone.net> is widely believed to have written:

> So, tim, you inspired me to try this mechanism with equivalence.  The
> attached file has your bytecodePrimClass change and the same for
> bytecodePrimEquivalent.  So this means that both are interceptable, when
> the proxy is the receiver.
>
> The additional problem I had with #== is when the proxy is the
> argument.   So I changed ProtoObject to double dispatch #== to
> basicEquivalence: which calls primitive 110.  Is this reasonable
> performance-wise, do you think?

Independent from the performance question I have the impression that
changing the semantics of #== is a very radical thing: it is thought to
compare oops.
Isn't it better to use #= instead for comparison of to be proxied objects?
Or some other self written comparison method?

Greetings,

Stephan

PS: Haven't worked with proxies so far, but some ideas which realizations
*would* (not in the near future) lead to a work with proxies.

--
Stephan Rudlof (sr at evolgo.de)