PDA UI - Learning from Newton

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Sun Jan 6 17:31:07 UTC 2002

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> As is their want, Apple put in a tremendous amount of work on UI design for
> the Newton to ensure easy and consistent stylus-oriented operation.  It is
> worthwhile to learn from it.  I do believe that had Apple kept their hand in
> the game, benefiting from the advances that allow today's PDAs to be
> smaller, faster and cheaper, today's Newton would be a leading PDA.

Hands down, the Newton was (and still is, which is sad) the best thing
doing as far as the PDA is concerned.  As the person working on
DynaPad/SPE, let me say that the entire point of my writing this Squeak
PDA environment is to replace my Newton MP2000 upgraded (for sale), and to
have a computing environment that is all of the things Palm OS and WinCE
aren't, and the NewtonOS were.  Consistent, elegant, dynamic, and
powerful.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "the end of the human race will be that it will eventually
      die of civilization. "                          :: r. w. emerson