PDA UI - Learning from Newton

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Sun Jan 6 22:16:01 UTC 2002

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> At Sat, 5 Jan 2002 15:48:15 -0500,
> Noel J. Bergman <noel at devtech.com> wrote:
> >
> > We've talked about how stylus-based PDA UIs are different than
> > mouse-keyboard-large screen UIs, and it seems to be that it makes sense to
> > learn from all of Apple's research and effort.  Not to blindly clone it, but
> > the tools are already in place upon which to apply Newtonesque ideas.
>
> There is already a Newton emulator based on Python called Gnuton :
> <http://gnuton.sourceforge.net/>. Some people are really crazy :-)

GNUton isn't worked on really at all anymore.  Hasn't had happen to it
since the first fit of development 2-3 years ago.

As a person who used his Newton to take all of his class notes, and often
times as a computer (not an organizer), there are plenty of places where
the Newton can be improved.  An emulator isn't the solution to perfect
PDA, but a new system integrating the ideas of the Newton.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "if i don't stay true to live and hate, how do i differentiate
              between chasing cream and chasing dreams"  :: atmosphere