[VM][SF] Cross has too much in the CVS tree?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jan 8 04:47:37 UTC 2002

> > > If it is actually so, yes. Cross platform should include a load of files
> > > that were kept as literal strings in the image; sq.h, sqConfig.h,
> > > FilePlugin/FilePlugin.h etc etc. If others have crept into the CVS
> > > repository then I would suspect an administrative mistake somewhere.
> >
> > No, those were the ones I meant....  I ran into trouble with sq.h -- it
> > mentions off_t in a prototype, causing an error in interp.c.  In this
> > particular case, if sq.h hadn't been there, then the one spat out from
> > the image would have worked.  You're right though that problems like
> > this are going to be ultimately unavoidable.
> Ah-hah. There _shouldn't be_ any such spat out version. Clearly there is
> some version clash occuring.

Well, you say there shouldn't be, and you've convinced me.  But if there
*was* an sq.h generated, it would very likely have worked.  Although who
knows, maybe there would be a conflict somewhere else....

At any rate, this kind of problem is unavoidable in general, and it
doesn't seem real useful pandering to the occasional case where it might
be avoidable.  And it sure does seem gross to have huge literal code
strings sitting in the image.

> W.r.t. SurfacePlugin and generating it - read the class comment. For
> whatever reason, it tells us not to generate the file but rather to use
> the literal version (ie the one now in /platforms/Cross/SurfacePlugin)
> I have vague memories of asking Andreas about this, but nothing clearer
> springs to mind.

Oh, okay, it really is intentional then.

Hmm, that means the SurfacePlugin in my shasnap must be a nop!  Darn.
Well, i'll try to remember to fix it next time I fiddle with it, and
I'll remove my hack from the UnikVMMaker changeset.  Also, I would think
people using CVS instead of the shasnap.tgz file would be okay.

> The rest of your UnixVMMaker stuff looks fine, except that it exposes
> some ugliness in the (ab)use of 'local' as a concept combining both
> internal/external generation and resultant file location. Better get
> myself motivated to clean it up I suppose!

Cool.  If you want, put it in the main VMMaker package -- I don't think
I'll need to be hacking on it any more, and I can send you more
changesets if you want.  (Although as you've mentioned before, it might
be nice if VMMaker was in the main update stream, anyway!  VMMaker beats
"Interpreter translate: 'interp.c' doInlining: true" hands down, now
that we have all this plugins business!)

-Lex