[BUG] search + replace is search + delete

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Jan 8 06:52:32 UTC 2002

Ross Boylan wrote:

> Using 3.2alpha #4599 image straight off the server I see the following
> behavior:
>
> Open a workspace and type stuff with repeated occurrences of a word.
> If I highlight the word and type in a replacement, then select do it again,
> the next occurrence is deleted.  Repeated do it again's repeatedly delete.

Ah!  The key here seems to be that this problem happens if you use "do it again" from the menu.  If I open a fresh workspace and only use alt-j, it works fine.  But the menu item deletes.  (It probably loses track of the replace string somehow.)

> I believe do it again is supposed to search and replace in this context.

Yes.

> If I use the keyboard shortcut (alt-j) same behavior.

I'm guessing you saw this with alt-j after you used the "do it again" menu item on the same word.  This does another delete.  But if I select a new word, type in a replacement, then alt-j, it replaces the next word correctly.

Thanks for the report.  (Anyone interested in fixing this? :) )

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com