Porting Squeak

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Wed Jan 9 23:16:48 UTC 2002

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Gary McGovern wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm curious to know if there are any plans to change Squeak
> over to Java ?

No, thank goodness.

> And if it would be possible ?

Depends. There's Talks2 which runs squeak in java (actually current squeak
code)

> Personally I prefer Smalltalk and its benefits such as
> workspaces, browsers, dynamic compilation etc (I don't like to
> use get and set and some of the huge method headers)

Well, you can get some of those things with various Java stuff. I don't
quite see what that means for Squeak.

> but I'm
> thinking from the support angle.

YOu want to make squeak harder to support?

>? What could have been done
> with the huge developer base.

Not much, my guess. A tiny slice of a large base is a tiny slice. Plus, no
one currently involved in Squeak (ok, most, but certainly the core
team) want to deal with Java. I don't, I know.

> Or would it be a good idea to have a Java translator that
> would give the apparency of the code being written or read in
> Java syntax ?

I don't see that this is interesting *except* as a I think implementing
langauges in Squeak is fun. See Frost, the recently open sourced Java
compiler for VisualWorks.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.