Porting Squeak

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Thu Jan 10 03:42:06 UTC 2002

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

[snip]
> * Changing the syntax of Smalltalk to make it look like Java?
>   Some people are working on allowing multiple syntaxes.
>
>   I note that in the examples I've looked at, Squeak code is routinely
>   about 1/6th of the SLOC of Java, so I for one wouldn't accept Java
>   syntax as a gift (except of course in the German sense).
[snip]
> Oddly enough, I'd been wondering vaguely about trying to use Smalltalk
> syntax for Java.  Java is just so bulky it isn't funny, and I don't think
> it needs to be.
[snip]

For folks interested in this sort of thing, it's really really worth
checking out Bistro:
	http://bistro.sourceforge.net/

"""Bistro is a new programming language that integrates the best features
of Smalltalk and Java™. Bistro is a variation of Smalltalk that runs on
top of any Java™ virtual machine (VM) that conforms to Sun's Java™
specifications."""

As I recall, there are some utility classes that let you work in your
favorite smalltalk (e.g., Squeak) and then migrate to Java. You can also
add declarations to your code to constrain types and improve performance.

"""For these reasons, Bistro provides a spectrum of optimization
options. Smalltalk developers will feel at home with the ability to write
code with familiar idioms and classes. Then, as application interfaces
harden and classes mature, type annotations may be added to classes in
order to improve the performance of method resolution when and where
needed. Performance critical methods may even be recoded directly in
primitive Java™ methods."""

Since I think there's a lot of juice to be gotten out of optional type
annotations, I'd be interested in how folks like the Bistro way of doing
it.

Bistro also brings in Access Controls (public, protected, private) and
various "Decorations" (abstract, final, synchronized, native,
static). (Are these from Java?)

Anyhoo, I bet that Bistro is a much better starting place for
*integrating* Smalltalk and Java (if it works and has gone in ways you
like :))

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.