[M206] how to do M206 diagrams in Squeak

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Fri Jan 11 20:19:11 UTC 2002

Ross Boylan wrote:

> >I can read in the connectors project from BSS, but when I try to load
> >http://nedkonz.dhs.org:8080/Ned/uploads/12/M206.pr
>
> I get a message asking me how to convert ncButtonBar (from memory) to a
> "modern class".
>
> Here's the method it asks me to fill in
> nCButtonBarbosfcebb0
>
>          ^ PutNewClassHere
>
> I'm at 3.2alpha #4599
>
> By the way, what is M206?  Some school class, or is it something more august?
>
> P.S.  Thanks for the tip on EventRecorder; it saved putting a lot of work
> into something that wouldn't work.

Ned probably answered the first part of the question off list (from
memory, it's important to use a late version of the connectors stuff,
but Ned's answer should be regarded as far more likely to be correct
than mine!).

M206 is an undergrad course run by the Open University (UK based, but
available pretty much anywhere) which uses Learning Works (a "teaching"
Smalltalk based, IIRC on an early (3.1 ish?) Visual Works) to teach OO
programming. I don't think I'm entirely alone in thinking that they
should use Squeak instead and adopt Mark Guzdial's book as the main
text.

Cheers

John

--
Reputed to be the reason Windows 2000 was nearly a year late, (paid in
shares M$Ds needed the cash and kudos) Netproject's Eddie Bleasdale has

http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001REQSUB=REQINT1=48211