[SqueakAudio] re: compressed-audio support

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Sat Jan 12 02:42:32 UTC 2002

Dan Ingalls wrote:

> Tim Hanson <tbhanson at gmx.de> wrote...
> > > I'd be interested in trying to make MP3s or some other convenient
> > > format I could share with friends via the web.
>
> Craig Latta <Craig.Latta at netjam.org> replied...
> >       I recommend Ogg Vorbis (vorbis.com), a "completely open, patent-free,
> >professional audio encoding and streaming technology with all the
> >benefits of Open Source." I think it sounds great, and far preferable to
> >MP3 technically for several reasons (space, quality, scaling). Software
> >for it abounds.
>
> I second the motion.
>
> As soon as I understood all the legal issues surrounding MP3, I wanted to do an open alternative >(hey, can't be *that* hard, right? ;-).  Ogg Vorbis (see, eg, http://www.vorbislinks.com/) seems to > be exactly this kind of movement and I am strongly in support of it.  Squeak could be a neat
> synergy for them, and it would be a valueable tool for Squeak.

(Belatedly, thirded). Now, if someone could work out a way of combining
compression, the jmv movie format and Ogg Vorbis, we'd _really_ have
something.

Cheers

John

--
Reputed to be the reason Windows 2000 was nearly a year late, (paid in
shares M$Ds needed the cash and kudos) Netproject's Eddie Bleasdale has

http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001REQSUB=REQINT1=48211