[SqueakAudio] re: compressed-audio support

Nick Brown maillist at bredon-gill.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 12 11:24:57 UTC 2002

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 02:42:32 +0000, John Hinsley wrote:

>(Belatedly, thirded). Now, if someone could work out a way of combining
>compression, the jmv movie format and Ogg Vorbis, we'd _really_ have
>something.
>
>Cheers
>
>John

Interestingly, when I first came across Ogg's website, maybe 4 years
ago, they were working on a general purpose compression format where I
guess the decompression utility was simply a general purpose
decompression "vm". The idea being that each compressed data item
would contain the necessary code for the vm to unpack it, potentially
allowing you to encode any combination of data in any which way you
like - and know that the end user would be able to handle it.

But when I looked recently there didn't seem to be any mention of this
project. I'm sure something along these lines could be done very
nicely in squeak, though.

Regards,

Nick