Current status of Squeak VNC support?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sat Jan 12 19:03:11 UTC 2002

Hi all,
There was some discussion in '99/'00 about having Squeak natively speak VNC.
I just tried out Squeak talking to a Linux Xvnc server, with a client on a
slow handheld over the network.

I found that there is about a 1.5 to 2 second delay between typing a
character and seeing it on the display, which is obviously unacceptable for
normal uses.
I don't know what I could do to speed this up, or to reduce memory. So having
Squeak speak VNC directly is promising.

I know that Adam Feuer and Stephen Pair both did some work on this, as well
as Bert Freudenberg.

Is there any interest in doing this collaboratively?

I looked at the Xvnc code, and there's way too much there. My feeling was
that it would be easier and cleaner to start from the protocol documentation
and do a clean port, using the Xvnc code as a reference only when and if
necessary.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA