[M206] how to do M206 diagrams in Squeak

Gary McGovern gary.play at btopenworld.com
Sat Jan 12 22:05:02 UTC 2002

11/01/02 20:19:11, John Hinsley <jhinsley at telinco.co.uk> wrote:

>M206 is an undergrad course run by the Open University (UK based, but
>available pretty much anywhere) which uses Learning Works (a "teaching"
>Smalltalk based, IIRC on an early (3.1 ish?) Visual Works) to teach OO
>programming. I don't think I'm entirely alone in thinking that they
>should use Squeak instead and adopt Mark Guzdial's book as the main
>text.

Quite correct, after M206 students are left high and dry without a knowledge
of a real environment that you can produce things with. At least with the OU
Java and C++ courses Borland is used and students can carry on with it
afterwards.

Mark Guzdial's book is higher level book with an heuristic style of teaching,
I wouldn't have like to have done that to begin with. M206 is nuts and bolts
Smalltalk and an easier place to start.

I should add that there was an interview with Alan in which he is supposed to
have said what was wrong with Java, but that was edited out because of space.
(The explanation of why it was edited out couldn't have been any shorter than
the edited parts themselves. That the following course from M206 is Java is
probably the main reason).

Gary