fonting hell!

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Sun Jan 13 16:22:16 UTC 2002

John,

> I'm not *absolutely* sure that these changes are down to the recent
> change sets (or even that they're both changes!) but I observe that:
>
> "ü" (that's ascii 252, u diuresis/umlaut) is now represented
> by a glyph in (at least) the file list and file selector dialogues.
> If this doesn't apply to you and you use Mac, well, that may explain
> something.... :-0

It has always been that way. We (that is those people not running Macs) have
gone to painful length in order to make umlauts and accents available after
all [**](mind you, plenty of us are € too ;-) but the file handling is one
of those (few!) places that haven't been touched. Therefore I believe no
matter which font you use you will not be able to display umlauted
characters correctly from the file list.

[**] Not sure about Linux but on Windows we even convert between Squeak and
ISO during clipboard operations and all that stuff so you can copy text
between Squeak and word while not messing up your accented characters.

> I can't live with the default text style any more: it simply won't
> display (most) accents. I'm a European: we use accents! How
> can I change this for something sensible like courier (which I have
> in Squeak). Yep, I've looked, but there's nothing obvious. (Couldn't
> this become something selectable from the preferences dialogue?)

See above. It won't work that easily. I actually tried (one way to do it is
to get a halo on the file list and choose a different list font from its
menu).

Cheers,
  - Andreas