fonting hell!

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Sun Jan 13 18:11:05 UTC 2002

Andreas Raab wrote:

> It has always been that way. We (that is those people not running Macs) have
> gone to painful length in order to make umlauts and accents available after
> all [**](mind you, plenty of us are ? too ;-) but the file handling is one
> of those (few!) places that haven't been touched. Therefore I believe no
> matter which font you use you will not be able to display umlauted
> characters correctly from the file list.
>
> [**] Not sure about Linux but on Windows we even convert between Squeak and
> ISO during clipboard operations and all that stuff so you can copy text
> between Squeak and word while not messing up your accented characters.

Yes, this works for us, too.

> > I can't live with the default text style any more: it simply won't
> > display (most) accents. I'm a European: we use accents! How
> > can I change this for something sensible like courier (which I have
> > in Squeak). Yep, I've looked, but there's nothing obvious. (Couldn't
> > this become something selectable from the preferences dialogue?)
>
> See above. It won't work that easily. I actually tried (one way to do it is
> to get a halo on the file list and choose a different list font from its
> menu).

Ah well, if you find it difficult, there's not a lot of hope for me!

The fonts do work as expected everywhere else, although the one place I
always get caught is calling *nix cal from squeak shell. Mind you, it is
a pretty good excuse for missing appointments.....

Thanks

John

--
Reputed to be the reason Windows 2000 was nearly a year late, (paid in
shares M$Ds needed the cash and kudos) Netproject's Eddie Bleasdale has

http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001REQSUB=REQINT1=48211