Learning Squeak (was: Porting Squeak)

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Tue Jan 15 00:39:17 UTC 2002

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

[snip]
> > have you looked at Guzdial's text book?
>
> Yes, of course -- if you mean the one I think you do.  Looked at, and read
> (the online version ... if the hardcopy is substantially different, I
> wouldn't know).  Nice book.  Topical.  But more of a reference than an
> introductory book.
[snip]

That's not my impression at all. It's a textbook about Object oriented
programming, not a reference book. It's geared toward cs majors, so in
that sense it's not a *popularizing* book (though I don't think it's
inaccessible), but that's differen from being a reference.

I just got "Adventures in Objectland", the Squeak version. It uses a
dialogue approach (very much like the Little Schemer). It may be what
you're after. I hope to write a review for the next SqueakNews.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.