Squeak goes SMS?

Chris Double chris at double.co.nz
Wed Jan 16 05:23:44 UTC 2002

> Can anyone point me to any (reasonably user freindly) documentation on
> SMS?

I use a couple of ways to send SMS messages via programs. The first is using
the www.mtnsms.com gateway. Just register, fill out a form and the SMS gets
sent. Unfortunately there is no guarantee about when the recipient gets the
SMS. Sometimes the delay can be a few seconds, others a few hours. I have
example code in Dylan for this at:

  http://dylanlibs.sourceforge.net

I also have code I use in Dolphin Smalltalk to do the same thing. I use this
daily.

Another approach I have used is to have a Nokia cellphone connected to my
PC. I then use Nokia's PC connection SDK which allows sending and receiving
SMS messages using COM (on Windows). This allows me to send and to act on
receipt of an SMS message. This at least solves the problem of when the SMS
is delivered. But each SMS then costs you 20 cents or so.

Chris.
--
http://www.double.co.nz/dylan
http://www.double.co.nz/smalltalk