[ENH] TracingMessagesBrowser

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 07:26:10 UTC 2002

A new version of the TracingMessagesBrowser that will
work with Squeak 3.1 and 3.2.  I hope this will become
part of the standard distribution so I won't have to
keep merging.

--==CelesteAttachment56738==

from preamble:

"Change Set:		TracingMessagesBrowser
Date:			9 January 2002
Author:			Chris Muller

This change set adds a new browser to Squeak 3.1
useful for tracing message flow statically.  It looks
like a standard methods browser with methods in the
upper pane, code in the lower.  As you browse senders
and implementors, the upper pane is built into a
""stack"" rather than opening new method browsers.
Implementors are indented below the currently selected
method, senders are outdented above.  You end up with
a flow of the execution of methods across multiple
classes all in one place.

It is implemented as a new subclass of MessageSet, so
you have all of the other functions of a regular
message browser.  You can turn the functionality on
and off in the Preferences panel or toggle your
current setting by holding the Shift key (at the time
you select implementors or senders).

Highly recommended for newbies wanting to learn
Squeak!!

Though I have implemented this in Squeak from scratch,
I would like to give credit to someone at Applied
Reasoning, who originally thought of this idea and
implemented it in VisualWorks and VisualAge.